Friday, July 16, 2010

July, Summer, and Fishing Memories


July always was my favorite month of the year and this year is no exception. Independence Day is a chance for all of us to remember how lucky we are to be able to have the freedoms we often take for granted. I sit here now in my living room writing to you, enjoying those rights that were secured for me by my forefathers and I am truly proud to be living in this beautiful country.

My late fathers birthday, which has come and gone on the 7th, always makes me think of the summer party that mom would have for both of us and the fun that we would all share. Life is much more complicated now and trying to have a party for Bryan, who turned 9 on the 6th was both an expense we can not afford right now and a difficult one to plan with my wife Shirley working almost everyday. I am hopeful that things will change, jobs will return, and we will once again live a little more comfortably.

My neighbor Mark, made my birthday on the 9th one I will not soon forget. He gave us tickets to the local NASCAR race at Chicagoland Speedway and I was able to go and watch my favorite race car driver Jeff Gordon try to win for the second time while I was at the track. He finished 3rd but my best friend Rich and I had a great time and I was so lucky to have been able to attend this years race.

Now we are anticipating our summer fishing trip to Orr, Minnesota and a week of great fishing. My brothers Kevin & Keith, Kevin's stepson Noah and Kevin's father in law Jim, my friend Rich and his son Rick, Bryan and I will be heading to Pelican Lake. This is the first year in a long time that the men are going solo, so I am sure it will make for lots of laughs and some interesting moments in the cabin, to say the least. It has been many years since the three brothers have fished together on Pelican and I am sure we are all excited to have the opportunity to share the experience once again.

Summer will move on, the kids will return to school, and I will hold on to the memories of July 2010 until next year rolls around. Today is only the 16th, so I still have a few more great weeks to go in my favorite month of the year!

Join us on Facebook at Cappy's Pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cappy's Pond on Youtube