Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Springing Forward With Good Thoughts


First off, I'd like to thank all my readers for letting me take some much needed time off from Cappy's Pond. The everyday grind to try and land a good job is starting to get to me, and I wonder if there are any fish (jobs) left that are worth casting (applying ) for . The extra effort that I have put forth over the last month will hopefully pay off soon. I am keeping my fingers crossed that good fortune will come my way. Sooner than later would be nice. The way it's looking, this spring and summer will be quite painful in the pocket book with gas prices rising and our house values dropping like water from my upstairs toilet. I will keep my head up, and try and stay above the swirling water.

It's been so long since I had time to sit down and write, that I almost forgot my login. I have taken the rods down off the garage wall, cleaned a few reels and made a few trips to the Fox river in search of anything that swims. A few carp have managed to get caught up in my twitch baits, but it would be nice to actually have a fish hit the line instead of roping them in rodeo style. The river looks so inviting for the fish to be making their spring runs. Water levels are good and relatively clear which should give way to a good spawning season. Let's just hope that the spring rains don't come all at once and dirty it up too much.
This week I will be getting out wading for the first time with minnows in my bucket. My sister Cheryl will be glad as she likes to beep the horn when she crosses the bridge in her Suburban and sees me standing in the middle of the river fishing my favorite hole. I'm sure that after that first sighting my nephew Tyler will be ringing my cell and asking when he can come along. He has the fishing fever and it is my duty as an ambassador of the sport to continue to encourage him to pursue his passion to fish. After all, where would I be if I never had anyone there to take me fishing?
I hope that you can find the time this year to introduce someone new to the sport of fishing. For recreation or sport, fishing offers us so much more than meets the eye. I like to step back each year and reflect on what it has done for me in my life. Most of us were lucky to have someone who took the time and the energy to take us fishing at an early age. When that first fish grabbed the bait and got our hearts pumping it set the foundation for what has become for most of us an obsession. Make it a point in 2011 to give someone else that opportunity to experience all that fishing has to offer.
Fishing reports from the Fox river will be coming soon so make sure you check back by the end of the week to keep updated on the spring fishing. Maybe I'll have some good walleye photos and a job to add to all the excitement of spring. Thanks for visiting and sharing my posts at Cappy's Pond, and remember, you can't catch any fish if your line isn't in the water.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to have you back writing and good luck with the search...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope something pulls on your line soon. You deserve a good fishing trip and a new job to boot. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words and the support!

    ReplyDelete

Cappy's Pond on Youtube