Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Starting Point

Well I started a Blog...Who would have thought that? This is a place for me to share my thoughts and feelings about what I love to do most....FISH!

When I was a child (sometimes my wife thinks I still am) my father (Dan) and mother (Carol) spent a great deal of time doing everything for us. With five children (Kevin, Keith, Cynthia, Kirk, Cheryl) and one car, living in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, we ran back and forth to all the sporting events and school functions just about everyday. But somehow through all of that, my father still found time (and mom let him go) to take us fishing. Sometimes it was just for an hour or two in a local pond in the suburbs. Occasionally, we would drive to a lake to fish for a few hours from shore, and there were times that we'd rent a boat and motor and be gone for the whole day. Most summers the family would drive to Orr, Minnesota to spend a week or two fishing Pelican lake where the fish would actually bite. To this day it is still my favorite place to be and I count the days each year until we can return. The days spent fishing with my dad are the greatest childhood memories I have. Whenever things aren't going the way I'd like them to, I can always reflect back to a fishing memory that will somehow make things seem a little brighter. Now I am a father, and it has been my turn to take my son fishing. At first, it seemed like a chore....trying to teach him how to fish, but now he is growing older (8) and I see the results of the time I spent with him. It makes me appreciate what it took for my dad to take five of us fishing. As I continue to learn and enjoy my passion for fishing, I hope to share my thoughts, laughs, and ideas with you. Check back often, and remember that no child will ever forget the quality time that you spend with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cappy's Pond on Youtube