Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sufix 832 Advanced Superline Gear Review!

The spring of 2011 here in Illinois has been far from ordinary. Rain has played havoc with our rivers leaving just a few days that were available for wading. Shore fishing the Fox has gotten us the occasional smallmouth bass, but turbid and murky conditions can make it difficult to consistently produce fish. I have spent the spring concentrating on largemouth bass opportunities that have been available at some of the retention ponds here locally. Needless to say, I have not been able to get out and test this new Sufix 832 Advanced Superline that was sent to us courtesy of the Outdoor Blogger Network and the folks at Rapala VMC Corporation. When I spooled this new line onto my ultralight spinning tackle about three months ago I was eagerly awaiting the start of the open water season and my first encounter with Fox River walleyes. Little did I know that the amount of times I would get to use this line would be far and few between.







When spooling up the reel I noticed right away that this line has a very thin diameter, one that is rated at a 4lb mono equivalent. At a 10lb test rating I was impressed at how much line I was able to spool onto my reel. I took a few minutes to read about the differences in this line over other braided lines and how it was made. It seemed like a product that was manufactured with some extensive scientific research and a process that was very unique. To say the least I was very anxious to get out and try this line, well that is if it would ever quit raining!
The 832 in the Sufix name refers to the 8 fibers (7 Dyneema & 1 GORE Performance Fiber) weaved 32 times per inch of line. Like I said before, this isn't your ordinary braid. I tried to break it with my hands and it's some very strong line,  it can be a little difficult to tie knots because it is so thin and very limp. Also, I noticed that it's not that easy to cut with an ordinary line/nail clipper and will fray a little at the cut which can make it even harder to tie your knots. Here is a picture of the back of the package that shows the 832 weave.

The ability to make long casts with this line is something that I really liked compared to some other braids that I have used in the past. It flows off of the reel spool quite easily and doesn't seem to catch in between itself when it is reeled back on and casted off the spool repeatedly. The green color was also a plus because I have been using different green colored lines for some time now and I feel it will consistently out fish any other color of line. So far so good. Now lets see if we can catch a fish!
We (Rich Korolewicz & myself) made it out to the local pond this weekend for a day fishing for catfish and I was going to test out just how good this line actually was. One thing I wanted to mention was that the Sufix 832 line is very difficult to see being that it is so thin. Which is why I haven't used it while bass fishing because it is so critical to be able to see your line when casting in and around structure for bass. We set up at the pond with four rods and some pieces of chicken/pork franks on a hook large enough to keep the bluegills from hooking themselves. A local pond fisherman that I have met before always catches cats with this method so I thought it was a good place to start. As we were fishing, here comes "local pond fisherman" to set up down a ways from us and proceed to catch 2 nice cats while fishing with (you guessed it) the same thing we were using. Here is a picture of one of his cats.

After catching his 2 fish he was tired and decided to go home, leaving us a head of some cut bait that he hadn't used. We continued to fish about another hour or so with not even a bite. I grabbed the cut bait and hooked it to my line and sailed a Sufix 832 Advanced Superline mega cast toward the middle of the pond. Rich sat and watched the now three rods as I took the other to cast for some bass. A half hour or so later I saw Rich holding my rod/reel and looking a bit perplexed. Whats up? I asked. He said. "You had a bite!" My response went something like this. Nothing is going to bite that fish head unless it's really big or a turtle. Within seconds, Rich felt the fish again and set the hook.  The video link is at the end of the post  for what happened next. Enjoy it!  Oh and by the way the Sufix 832 line is really good. I think you'll like it!
Thanks again as always for visiting with us at Cappy's Pond and feel free to share our posts and links with your friends and family. Remember, you can't catch any fish if your line isn't in the water.
Disclaimer - Kirk B Cahill & Cappy's Pond have written and filmed an independent and honest review of this product for the Outdoor Blogger Network. The product was supplied free of charge by Sufix/Rapala VMC Corporation to Cappy's Pond through a contest on the OBN in return for a gear review. Kirk B Cahill & Cappy's Pond are not  associated with Sufix/Rapala VMC Corporation in any way and we did not receive any other compensation for this review.
Now for the video at Cappy's Pond on You Tube!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, and, I must say that is a great video. Some fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are working on the videos but it sure was fun to see that fish in that pond. Catch and release works!

    ReplyDelete

Cappy's Pond on Youtube