Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009......I'm glad to see it go.

I don't know how things have been at your house this year but I'm glad to see 2009 go out the door (and don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out). Shirley's son Jeramie was out of work all of the 2009 winter. He was hired (returned from 2008) for a seasonal job with the City of Elgin in late March, that was supposed to last until November, and they let him go sometime in late June. All the summer help was already hired and he didn't find a job until mid fall. He has a job now as a teller at a credit union but it is far from the pay he was making at the old job. Shirley's daughter Melissa was released from her CNA position at a Nursing home (we sometimes have to learn the hard way) and is having a difficult time trying to find someone to give her another chance when there are so many applicants fighting for a few positions. I currently have been out of work since the end of July (laid off) and to this day have not found anything that will pay more than I am collecting on unemployment. Luckily, Shirley was able to find a part time position at Central Dupage Hospital that had benefits, so at least we have health insurance and do not have to worry about paying for COBRA. The year also had some sad moments. Our close friends the Gelfo-Kleins and the Penars each lost one of their parents this year, and I know they are missing them dearly during this Christmas season. The year was not a total loss however. I had a wonderful time helping Bryan's baseball team when I could (I was still working), we enjoyed our fishing vacation in Minnesota even though I was let go the day before we left. I was the assistant coach for Bryan's basketball team this fall and will be head coach for the winter 2010 team. I spent a great deal of time with Bryan, and that was without a doubt, AWESOME!! Oh, and we did go fishing in the Fox river as much as we could. As Cub fans we were able to witness another season of baseball what not to do. The Bears bought and brought us new hope! When it was all said and done, same old press conferences. The Bulls, I have not managed to sit through and entire game yet and I may not even want to try for much longer. Our Blackhawks are the bright spot in the sports scene and it is a pleasure to watch these kids mature in to great hockey players. I am looking forward to going ice fishing within the next few weeks, now that we have had some cold nights and good ice conditions. A few bull bluegills and a crappie or two will give me a much needed shot in the arm until the job market turns around. I hope the New Year brings all of you health and happiness in 2010 and hopefully a few nice fish to go along with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cappy's Pond on Youtube