Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Buckets, Bears, and Birds


I couldn't help but notice a few frozen puddles on the side of the road this Wednesday morning. My eyes opened wide and the lights turned on inside my head, like the lighting of the Christmas tree last Saturday, at An Almost Winter Day. Time to clean out the five gallon buckets, turn them over and sit on them for a few minutes to see if they can still handle two hundred pounds of pure fisherman. The hardest part is waiting for the ice to become thick enough to support me and the bucket, but with a little luck we will be catching a few ice gills before too long.

The big topic around Chicagoland this week, is not ice fishing however, it's about a bird. No, not that bird. You were thinking of the turkey weren't you? I'm talking about the eagle and not just any eagle. This eagle can't fly but he can run around faster than most turkeys being chased by a farmer and his hatchet. Yes, our beloved Chicago Bears are going to be in the spotlight this weekend. I'm just hoping that we can have better luck in the headlights, than the deer I saw last night on the side of Randall road.

Now getting back to that turkey...if you haven't taken the bird out of the freezer, stop and go do that now! You can always return to read the rest of my stuffing later on. Did I just say stuffing? Did you remember the stuffing? I hope so, because a turkey without stuffing is kind of like a five gallon bucket with no ice to place it on. You need to have all of the parts to make the whole. Did I just say hole? I can't wait to drill that first ice hole, sit on my five gallon bucket and catch that first fish of the hard-water season. All in due time...

Cappy's Pond was selected as a Featured Outdoor Blogger of the Week at the Outdoor Blogger Network and I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to Rebecca & Joe for the honor. I am a huge fan of the OBN, and if you haven't had a chance to visit these excellent blogs, please take a few minutes to visit the site. You will be glad to add the OBN to your favorites menu.

To all the followers of Cappy's Pond, I sincerely hope that you will have a very blessed Thanksgiving filled with family, friends, food, football and maybe even a little fishing.

If you haven't done so please join our facebook group at Cappy's Pond and thank you again for taking a few minutes to come along fishing with us.

4 comments:

  1. Nice, I saw you on the OBN site. Good for you.

    Happy Thanksgiving
    The Average Joe Fisherman
    http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Cappy, happy to see things are looking up a bit for the Monsters of the Midway. I am a Bronco's fan and they are having a very tough year this year. Glad to see Cutler having some success this year. I am also waiting patiently (not really) for the hard water to come so I can get reacquainted with my bucket and some Trout or Perch. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Lovin your writings, and being selected as Blogger of the Week, was well deserved!

    ReplyDelete

Cappy's Pond on Youtube